Friday, February 23, 2007

Ridiculous, Party of One - your Table's Ready

So I've jumped from planes, taken up pole dancing (which by the way, I can now go upside down)... what next?

This weekend I will be attending the Young Survivors Conference for young women with breast cancer. Think 600 women under 40... I'm sure there will be crying involved. And some bitching. And I sure as hell hope some drinking.

This in itself is not extraordinary. Although I am told there will be a Pure Romance party. Also known as a sex toy Tupperware party.

"Hi, honey. I'm home."
"How was the conference?"
"Great. I brought you home some lube."
"I love presents."

This is also not the crazy part. Here goes. I will be posing nude for a photographer. WHAT! Yep, me in my "30 pounds overweight, I'm not comfortable in my body" glory. What the hell? There is this awesome woman, Christine Benjamin, who's doing a photo project for breast cancer.


Here's her website. The project is called "I of the Beholder." Her work is beautiful and inspiring. She's at the conference and some of us have volunteered to be a part of it.

Why am I doing this? Well, it's nuts. I love that. More importantly, it's part of my life now. And it's impoartant to see younger women with scars, etc. For me, it's also about learning to love my post cancer body, chubby and all. It's not to say that I'm not trying to drop those pounds, but for now, they are my badge of courage.

I will give you all the details when I get back. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is kickass that you are taking part in that photography project. Can't wait to read about it - Love, AJ

Chris said...

Does this mean there won't be puppies on this year's Christmas card?

Joking aside, you are beautiful and amazing, the pictures will be stunning, I have no doubt.

Anonymous said...

Hi Courtney,
I found your blog on the "i'm to young for this" blogospere. I've always wondered what goes on at those conferences. If all conferences promise a "Pure Romance" party, I'm sold! j/k... hahaha! Can't wait to read about the conference. Check out my blog www.ericgalvezdpt.com

Anonymous said...

WHO LOVES YOU???

You are one cool chic! I'm so glad you found me in the sea of survivors!!!
Can't wait to see all the pics!

~~beth

Anonymous said...

You are as beautiful as ever!
Love your body for what it is now, and you will shine in the eye of the camera! I'm sure the pictures will be gorgeous.

Love,
An old friend

Jayne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.