Thursday, September 14, 2006

Bye bye brows!

I lost my eyebrows yesterday. Yep, looked in the mirror and said, "What the funk?" They are completely gone. They had thinned out when I began chemo- almost nicely I thought to myself. "I'd like an eyebrow wax with my poison, please." But now, 8 weeks after I finished chemo, my eyebrows decide to play hide and seek. Some hairs are hiding well in my sheets, others not so well on my bathroom sink. I did have about 3 eyebrow hairs over one eye, but that just seemed wierd... like a horrible eyebrow comb-over. So I put them out of their misery. Pluck, Pluck, Pluck. I then proceeded to powder them in... drawing a line is so over. I still think I look like someone's 75 year old grandmother up close. Drawn in eyebrows. Like I should be putting on hot pink lipstick and maybe some clown blush. As if my vanity hasn't been assaulted enough. People look funny with no eyebrows. Real funny. Just when I was finding uses for my razor again. God has a real sense of humor. As if I don't have enough reminders... still bald, peeling skin from radiation, scars, daily pills.

Perhaps I could take some shedding fur from my dogs and weave me some brows. Or a sweater.

2 comments:

Jayne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

The only ray of hope I can offer is that within a few days (maybe even hours) of being down to just a few hairs (4 at most) over each eye, a 5 o'clock eyebrow shadow started! It was so bad that I asked the anesthesiologist on Tuesday to not touch my remaining eyebrow hairs bc they'd fall out and I liked the illusion of having eyebrows. Of course, now they are a thick bizarro looking shadow, but they are mine.