Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Donate to the cause!


I'm a few days out of my first chemo and I'm feeling pretty good, considering. I have some wicked bone pain from my shot to help boost my white blood counts and some funny business going on with my belly, but all in all- not bad. The Roids are definately helping me eat like a pig. All I can think about are burgers and pizza. And I'm still on fire every now and then.

It occured to me that I needed to get on with the fundraising shenanigans for my 3 Day walk, so I got off my ass and wrote a letter. Part of it follows:

About two months ago, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Since then, my days have been filled with doctors, procedures and treatments. I have just begun chemotherapy. My journey will be long and sometimes very hard, but I know I will come out stronger in the end. I am lucky. I have had wonderful medical care and we caught it before it had fully spread. Not everyone is this lucky. I feel compelled to do my part to stop this disease as soon as possible.

In October of this year, I will be participating in a very special event called the Breast Cancer 3-Day. I'll walk 60 miles over the course of three days with thousands of other women and men. The net proceeds will support breast cancer research, education, screening and treatment through the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund.

I’m doing this for the dozens of women who have helped me along this journey- the wonderful women who have offered a bit of themselves to help others who follow this path. I’m doing this for all those who will be diagnosed this year- hoping they are half as lucky as I have been. I’m doing this for little girls everywhere- my nieces, hopefully one day my own daughters- so if God forbid they ever have to face this, science will be even further along. And I’m doing this for myself. I may be tired and I may be bald, but I am forever grateful that I have the opportunity to walk. Three days is the least I can give to a community that has given so much to me.

I've agreed to raise at least $2,200 in donations. So I need your help. Would you please consider donating to this cause? Any little bit helps. Just click the link below to go to my personal fundraising webpage and donate online.

http://www.the3day.org/Atlanta06/courtneybugler

So the point of this? Dig into your pockets if you can and donate some cash. I would be eternally grateful. And so would the over 200,000 people who will be diagnosed this year.

(STEPPING OFF SOAPBOX)

No comments: