Friday, March 31, 2006

The Harvest


har·vest - n.

-The act or process of gathering a crop.
-The crop that ripens or is gathered in a season.
-The amount or measure of the crop gathered in a season. -The time or season of such gathering.
-The result or consequence of an activity.


v. har·vest·ed, har·vest·ing, har·vests v. tr.

-To gather (a crop).
-To extract from a culture or a living or recently deceased body, especially for transplantation: harvested bone marrow.
-To gather a crop from.
-To receive (the benefits or consequences of an action).


So yesterday I had my eggs harvested. Good times. Let me tell you, I was ready to get those suckers out of me! I showed up yet again at the crack of dawn and was led to the pre procedure room. I was stuck with an IV- again. I was told that I needed another additional shot- in the ass. I swear, there is nothing sacred or personal about my body anymore. The harvest can bring out some nausea, so they were going to give me an anti-nausea drug mixed with demerol. Yum! Demerol- now that's good shit. The nurse told me I might experience "some burning"- that was my first tip-off. Remember the "slight burning" known as hot coals to my breast? Yeah, she shot me up and FUCK! yep, that's exactly what I yelled as she gave me the shot. I couldn't sit down. It hurt so badly it brought tears to my eyes. The nurse told me they don't tell you how bad it is because then some people might refuse it. Thanks bitch.

No worries- after about 20 minutes the drugs kicked in and I was in happy land. I was moved into the room, put in some stirrups, and ... Next thing I know, I'm waking up and eating animal crackers. I left about an hour later. I slept the entire day- I mean, really, I was awake for maybe 20 minutes- enough time to get to the car and then to a bed. I wish I could give you all the dirty details about the pac-man, but I have no idea what happened. I just know I woke up and I've been in pain ever since.

So what's the result you ask? They were able to get 31 eggs. THIRTY-ONE! A good harvest is like 15-20. So I was an over achiever. They were able to fertilize 18 of those eggs, so we now have 18 little pre-kids in a freezer for a rainy day.

Phew- it's good to have that done. Now if only I wasn't still so sore!

1 comment:

Chris said...

I want to start naming the little embryos! Anybody have a baby name book? We could give them rabbit names--as you just harvested a warren's worth of eggs--Flopsy, Mopsy, Peter, Velveteen, Fiver...Oh fun!