Monday, January 14, 2008

Still on strike

Here I go... week 8 or 8 or 10 of this strike. Still no job. Collecting unemployment. Yep, on the dole. Blowing through savings, racking up debt. And you know what? I'm not that unhappy. Stressed and worried, but not unhappy.

I've been doing tons and tons of cancer stuff. Lots of volunteer work. Traveling. Who knew this cancer thing would turn into my greatest social outlet?

God, I would make a freaking great trophy wife. Hear that, Alan? Trophy wife. We are in the south, after all. Unfortunately, that's not in my future anytime soon.

The thing is... this being off from work has made me realize I'm not sure I love my work. What my work gives me, sure... work from home, autonomy, a creative outlet - and a good paycheck. Ooh, and don't forget insurance. But I don't exactly change the world, you know. Writing for television - especially daytime TV is a good gig. But it's a gig. It's like when I started spending time with professional actors out of college. And I was sad that they seemed to have lost the fire for the "art" they once had when they did it for free. Maybe I'm that girl? Or maybe it's just been so long since I've worked I'm getting bitter.

So maybe the strike will end soon. A girl can dream. Cuz you can only eat Kraft mac and cheese so much.

Seriously.... trophy wife. Think about it.

No comments: