Saturday, January 12, 2008

Young Survival Coalition

The spring of my junior year in college, all hell broke loose in my life. I had recently broken up with my college boyfriend of 3 years... "beret boy" as my brothers called him. (It wasn't a beret, per sae, but an unfortunate late nineties, boy band-esque fashion choice) Anyway, my grandmother died, I had just taken on a very large student project. A very intense acting partner tried to sleep with me after 2 bottles of wine. Then never called when I didn't. In other words, I was overtaxed and overstressed.

So what do you do when you're spread thin? Shit, grab a knife and keep spreading!

Back to my junior year... it was the last sorority chapter meeting of the year. I was enjoying my new found non exec position and a bit of a breather. I had recently finished a successful rush season. Yep, I wore my cutey petutie scarves and jackets and judged women in about .4 seconds.

The best laid plans...

See, my protege, the woman I had groomed to take over my rush legacy -- shut up, that shit seemed VERY important when you're 21. Anyway, she decided to carry on my legacy by quitting not only the position, but the whole organization at the very last meeting. Perhaps she was pissed we had disciplined her best friend for giving a blow job in the front room of the sorority house in front of the big window for everyone to see. And they did. I digress...

Mon dieu! 100 college women with no rush leader?! What's a girl to do? With a room full of people freaking out, I decided to suck it up and take one for the team.

"Me. Sign me up. I'll be rush chair again."

Never mind I had already done it. Or that it was a fucking recockulous amount of work. Or that sorority rush happens three weeks before the huge show I was producing opened. Whatever. I'll do it. Some of my closer friends were worried I was taking on too much. Too much? That's fucking silly. It's rush, not rocket science. I saw the look in people's faces when I said I'd do it. Relief. Crisis averted. Courtney knows what the fuck she's doing. Hey, school's out for summer.

And you know what? I don't think I slept for 6 months. I didn't attend winter classes until the midterm. It was nuts, crazy and fucked up.

And I loved every minute of it.

So what does this have to do with my life now? Well, you know, the more things change, the more they stay the same. So... I told you I went to the YSC affiliate conference, right? Well, you're looking at the new president of the YSC Atlanta chapter. Our previous leader was tired and had given so much of herself... it was time for her to have a life. And me? A life is overrated. And I'm super excited to help the organization grow. And help more woman. Different time, same expectant faces. But hell, this sorority needs a leader. So put me in coach, I'm ready to play!

No comments: